Sunday, December 4, 2016

2017 Back to the Classics Challenge

So, I suppose it's obvious that I enjoy participating in challenges, since my first three posts on this blog are all about the different challenges I'm planning on completing. This won't be the last, either -- I'll most likely also participate in next year's BookRiot Read Harder challenge, and I always set a reading goal on GoodReads, so there's another one. What can I say? I like setting goals, even if I don't always accomplish them. :)

I intended to participate in Books and Chocolate's Back to the Classics Challenge in 2016, but I only got one book from my challenge finished (Frankenstein) so I'll try again next year. Here is what I plan on reading for this challenge:

Back to the Classics Challenge 2017


1.  A 19th Century Classic: Pride and Prejudice, Austen

2.  A 20th Century Classic - The Grapes of Wrath, Steinbeck

3.  A classic by a woman author: Uncle Tom's Cabin, Stowe

4.  A classic in translation: Madame Bovary, Flaubert

5.  A classic published before 1800: Beowulf


6.  A romance classic: Jane Eyre, Bronte


7.  A Gothic or horror classic: The Phantom of the Opera, Leroux

8.  A classic with a number in the title: 1984, Orwell

9.  A classic about an animal or which includes the name of an animal in the title: Taming of the Shrew, Shakespeare

10. A classic set in a place you'd like to visit: The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hugo

11. An award-winning classic: The Good Earth, Buck (Pulitzer)


12. A Russian Classic: Crime and Punishment, Dostoyevsky

This should be fun, and there's quite a bit of crossover with my Classics Club challenge as well. Can't wait to get started!

3 comments:

  1. So many great books! Have an excellent 2017. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choices! I really loved The Good Earth and Pride and Prejudice.
    Thanks for signing up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read several of those and loved them. You'll have a great year

    ReplyDelete