Thursday, December 1, 2016

Reading the Histories Challenge

In addition to my Classics Club challenge (which I posted about here) I'm also joining A Great Books Study's "Reading the Histories" challenge, working my way through the histories listed in Susan Bauer's The Well-Educated Mind. I am giving myself five years to work my way through these thirty books. That seems do-able, amid all of the other reading I do (not to mention the writing and the blogging and the homeschooling and the cat wrangling...)

Ruth at A Great Books Study has a list over at her blog as well, but I'm adding it here so I can easily reference it when I need to. The histories (in chronological order) are:


  • The Histories, Herodotus
  • The Peloponnesian War, Thucydides
  • The Republic, Plato
  • Lives, Plutarch
  • The City of God, Augustine
  • The Ecclesiastical History of the English People, Bede
  • The Prince, Machiavelli
  • Utopia, More
  • The True End of Civil Government, Locke
  • The History of England, Vol. V, Hume
  • The Social Contract, Rousseau
  • Common Sense, Paine
  • The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Gibbon
  • A Vindication of the Rights of Women, Wollstonecraft
  • Democracy in America, De Tocqueville
  • The Communist Manifesto, Marx
  • The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy, Burckhardt
  • The Souls of Black Folk, Du Bois
  • The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, Weber
  • Queen Victoria, Strachey
  • The Road to Wigan Pier, Orwell
  • The New England Mind, Miller
  • The Great Crash 1929, Galbraith
  • The Longest Day, Ryan
  • The Feminine Mystique, Friedan
  • Roll, Jordan, Roll: The World Slaves Made, Genovese
  • A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous Fourteenth Century, Tuchman
  • All the President's Men, Woodward & Bernstein
  • Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era, McPherson
  • A Midwife's Tale, Ulrich
  • The End of History and the Last Man, Fukuyama
There are several quite challenging reads on this list, so I'm not going to be too hard on myself if it takes longer than five years. Life is, after all, an endless education. I'm looking forward to getting started!


2 comments:

  1. Hi, again. When I started my blog five years ago, I used this same template and color. Great minds think alike. : D It brings back great memories.

    P.S. I also homeschool (four of my kids - one is in college now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how funny! I'm a big fan of your blog -- it got me interested in reading the classics again. And hooray for homeschooling! I also have four kids, but my oldest is 12. :) Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete